Economic and Construction Outlooks in a Context of Disruptors
Time & Location
About The Event
Please join us for our January program where our guest speaker, Alex Carrick from Construct Connect, will present and discuss the industry forecast in 2020. We will also look at information regarding the southeast region. Also during the 2020 kickoff, the presentation will include the CSI Raleigh-Durham product show which includes each of our Chapter's Sponsors with their latest and greatest aimed at Architects, Engineers and Designers
- 11:00 am | set-up for booth
- 11:30 am | Product Show begins
- 12:00 pm | Presentation begins
- 1:00 pm | End of program
- There are multiple yellow caution flags concerning the economy going forward
- The weighting of total construction activity has been transitioning towards ‘mega’ projects (especially in energy)
- Owners contemplating capital spending now have high-tech alternatives as opposed to adding square footage (not just the shift away from ‘bricks & mortar’ retail)
- High-tech has been a huge disruptor in numerous industries – construction won’t be the exception
Alex Carrick obtained his undergraduate degree at the University of Western Ontario (London, Ontario, Canada) in 1969. His M.A. in Economics was earned at the University of Toronto (U of T) in 1971. After finishing the courses for a doctorate while living at U of T’s Massey College, Mr. Carrick left the academic world for an exciting opportunity with the Canadian Institute of Steel Construction (CISC), a trade association representing structural steel fabricators. He eventually became the CISC’s Secretary-Treasurer.
In 1985, Mr. Carrick moved further into the private sector when he assumed the role of Chief Economist with CanaData, the leading supplier of statistics and forecasting information for the Canadian construction industry. CanaData is a product line of ConstructConnect based in Cincinnati, Ohio. In turn, ConstructConnect is a subsidiary of the Fortune 500 company, Roper Technologies, which has its head office in Sarasota, Florida.
Mr. Carrick has chosen the presenters for CanaData’s Annual Construction Industry Forecasts Conference in Toronto for the past 34 years. He also provides the overview and summary speeches.
During the last decade-plus, Mr. Carrick’s endeavors have become much broader in scope. He has delivered numerous presentations throughout the continent on the Canadian, United States and world construction markets. The number of articles he’s written for the company’s various websites has climbed into the thousands.
His role as a thought-leader in the construction industry has been enhanced by the Economy at a Glance and Economic Nuggets columns he writes at least three times per week for the newspapers and on-line platforms Daily Commercial News and Journal of Commerce. The size of his audience has also been expanded by his twice-yearly participation in a U.S. forecasting webinar series.
Mr. Carrick also co-ordinates, along with Oxford Economics (London, U.K.), the calculation of a much-followed quarterly econometric ‘construction starts’ forecast for dissemination to a list of high-profile subscribers in the U.S. and Canada. In addition, Mr. Carrick’s U.S. put-in-place capital spending projections form part of the consensus outlook piece showcased by the American Institute of Architects (AIA) twice each year.
Thanks in large measure to his heightened social media presence, Mr. Carrick was promoted to ConstructConnect’s North American Chief Economist five years ago. The number of his followers on Twitter has risen above 30,000.
- CSI RDU Chapter Members: $0
- Non CSI RDU Chapter Members: $35
- Student Non CSI RDU Chapter Members: $15
- Credit Card during Registration
- Cash, Check or Credit Card at the Door
Parking and Meeting Information:
- Parking is free at the NC State University Alumni Center
Please contact Robert Field if you have any general questions about the event or registration.
- CSI-RDU CHAPTER MEMBER$0$00$0
- NON CSI-RDU CHAPTER MEMBER$35$350$0